The Amazing Spider-Man - Film Review (contains spoilers)

July 30, 2014



Director: Marc Webb
Starring: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone. Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Irrfan Khan, Martin Sheen, Sally Field, Chris Zylka

Okay, so basically, not being able to remember the first Spider-Man series featuring Tobey Mcguire (I was 5 or 6 when the first film came out and I liked princesses WAY too much to watch a man wearing spandex fight crime) I found this film rather interesting.
Starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker (whom teenager Charlotte likes A LOT more than Tobey McGuire, just saying) this film is basically how Spider-Man becomes, well, Spider-Man. I have to say, it’s different to how I remember the story of Spider-Man being told, but I kind of like it, I’m all for changing the way people see well known stories and this film changes most things except the way Peter becomes infected with spider venom.  I especially like the way Peter Parker uses his powers for personal gain BEFORE using them for ‘The Greater Good’, as that’s what a typical teenager would do. I mean would you rather humiliate the bully who bullied you to satisfy your own need for revenge or just start helping out the local police force to catch ‘baddies’, because I know which one I would pick! But the thing I like is that, after Peter has used his powers for himself, he then realises that he can prevent other people from getting hurt like his Uncle (Whose death was 100% predictable but still kind of emotional) and then proceeds to become the Spider-Man we all know and love (or hate ya know whatever floats your boat!)

However, this film is riddled with clichés. The ‘beloved-family-member-dies-after-a-fight’ cliché, the ‘scientist-tests-his-serum-on-himself-and-then-it-goes-wrong’ cliché and the ‘nobody-believes-the-superhero-until-the-last-moment’ cliché. Yet, that’s what you would expect by watching a film based on a comic book, endless clichés that you are willing to overlook, because how realistic are they anyway?

Overall, I would say that this film is watchable but not the best superhero film I have seen. Out of 10 I would give it a 6 for the re-writing of the story, Peter Parker’s use of humour and the open ridicule of Spandex.

Also, bonus point for the director Marc Webb because, well, I’m immature and I found it punny!(#sorrynotsorry)
Score: 7/10





Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments