Alien - Film Review (NO SPOILERS)

October 27, 2014



Director: Ridley Scott

So, as you all know I’m trying to branch out from the type of films I normally watch (romance, comedies etc) and, after mentioning watching Alien VS Predator to my friend, she suggested that I watch Alien to complete my introduction to sci-fi.



Now, I don’t know if this is just me, or the fact that this film was released in 1979 (making it 35 years old) but it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. Don’t get me wrong, for its time, the graphics and the alien itself would have been scary and jumpy. However, due to the fact that in today’s society we see so much death and violence on television, the alien didn’t have much of an impact on me. I found the deaths comical and the character of Lambert to be extremely annoying (I mean is all the crying really THAT necessary?) and more often than not, I couldn’t understand what some of the characters were saying.


However, after saying that, I have to say this film was a very-good introduction to sci-fi. I would recommend it to people who (like me) are a bit of a wuss and get scared easily as I didn’t find it that scary.


I am going to score this 7/10 as I feel that it would have been good upon initial release, but has lost some of its scare-factor in today’s society.


Fun Fact: The original title to the film was ‘Star Beast’ (ooh, scary)

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments