The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Film Review (NO SPOILERS)

November 15, 2014



Director: John Madden

Based Upon: These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach



I remember this film being out in the cinema and, unfortunately, I didn’t get to see it… but let me say, this film was totally worth the wait!



The plot centres around a group of ‘elderly’ people who decide, for their different reasons, to go and live at the ‘Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ marketed for the ‘elderly and beautiful’. Incorporating humour and plot twists, this film is a general all-round feel-good movie! Many things happen during the film that I did not expect to happen, and each character has enough character development to make them seem real, and not just simply a ‘plot device’ to fill time during the running time. Each character has their own dynamic that works well with the vibrancy of India and general humour of the film; and what I love most about this is that it isn’t filled with skinny 20-somethings with no character development and a plotline to match. It had substance and showed how life doesn’t end when you hit 60.


The only (tiny) criticism I would give is that, due to the accents in the film, sometimes dialogue was lost-in-translation, meaning I had to re-wind and listen again… but ya know… that’s (in the words of Sam from Love Actually) “A tiny insignificant detail”.


However, this does not detract from an otherwise all-rounder and I am going to score this a 9.5/10 because the acting and ambiance were fantastic! :)

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments