Maleficent - Film Review (NO SPOILERS)

January 07, 2015



Director: Robert Stromberg



If there’s one thing that guaranteed to make me sit up and pay attention, it’s the re-telling of popular stories, especially fairy-tales. This seems to be a trend recently, and I’m not complaining, especially when it’s the re-telling of my favourite villain! I have loved Maleficent for her badass-ness ever since I saw Sleeping Beauty as a child, and this movie didn’t disappoint…


What I loved about it was that you already had your biases, even before the film started.  I mean, as children we are taught that there are definite ‘goodies’ and ‘baddies’ and that is that. But this movie blurs the lines between ‘villain’ and ‘hero’ and also incorporated brilliant CGI and magical elements without it being too cheesy. There’s also a dark element, making this well-known fairy-tale more adult, without it being too scary for children, and that’s extremely hard to do! Plus, Angelina and those cheekbones… win win!

The ONLY thing that annoyed me was Prince Philip’s ‘Justin Bieber’ haircut… I mean, you’re a Prince for crying out loud and THAT’S the hairstyle you go with? I think in this instance, I prefer the original Philip’s nice forehead flick!

I think this film deserves a 10/10 because it’s not easy to turn somebody who has been a villain for the past 54 years into somebody both loveable and relatable to… plus I kinda love Angelina Jolie so… :)

P.S. I didn't realise that there is more than one Prince Philip, so when I googled him, hoping for this guy:












I got this guy:







Totally NOT the same thing... buy hey, that's the British Monarchy for you! :)










Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments