Crossroads

July 13, 2015

As I am at the time of my life where I am hopefully going to be going to university and I have been asked the same question repeatedly which is starting to get a little annoying; "So, what do you plan on doing in the future?"


As an 18 year old girl who is the epitome of indecisive, this angers me because I usually give the same reply "I don't know... I'm sure I will figure it out!" People assume that because I have aspirations to go to university that I must have a clear plan of where I want to go and what I want to do. The answer is: I don't have one single clue what I am going to do if/when I graduate from university. To be honest, I haven't even received my A Level results yet so I don't know if my plan to go to university will actually come true and if it does, I will be a different person in 3/4 years when I graduate anyway! When I was 15 I wanted to be an architect, but then I found out I would need to be good at maths and art (my two worst subjects at school) and then I dropped the idea. Since then I have wanted to be a teacher, open my own dance school and an actress before changing my mind again. How am I supposed to know what I want to do for the rest of my life when I change my mind every week? 

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation, I'm sure there are plenty of teens and young adults who don't have a clue where they are going in their life and that makes me feel a lot better. I would say that having no plan is good and that you don't need one to live your life fully, but I can't say that. I might be able to when I am 30 and settled with a house and a family, but right now, when I don't know what's around the corner, I'm just as scared as you are. I don't have the assurance of knowing that everything will be ok, and that my life will fall into place and be fine. I don't have the ability to be able to look back and say that all my worrying was for nothing. All I can do is go with the flow, take it one step at a time and deal with it then and there. 

What I am trying to say is that, if you are reading this and (like me) you have no clue what you are going to do in your future that you 100% aren't the only person who feels like this. I think everyone has had this moment in their life but people deal with it in different ways but in the words of J.R.R Tolkien: "Not all those who wander are lost"

Lottie:)  

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments