Stop the blame culture!

August 02, 2015

Shall I tell you what annoys me about the culture I live in? This blame culture we have created to absolve our mistakes.


I have noticed that more and more people are becoming less likely to admit their mistakes. There's this whole mentality surrounding them and how they are almost entirely not your fault and that someone/something else is to blame for them. I mean look at the increasing amount of injury lawyers that are being advertised on T.V., each one promoting this idea that you are not solely responsible for everything that happens to you. Yes, being rear-ended in your car is not your fault, but disregarding the 'floor wet' sign and slipping on the (surprisingly) wet floor is actually your fault and not that of the poor cleaning lady who did her job correctly! Why are we so keen not to take responsibility for ourselves? Will that suddenly undo the bad thing that has happened? Will it make you a better person? The answer is: probably not. I just don't see how blaming Becky for breaking the automatic pencil sharpener is going to make you feel any better for breaking it yourself! 

As I have stated, there are some things that are genuinely not your fault and that's just how the world works sometimes. But not everything that happens to you will be the fault of someone else. Whether we like to admit it or not, we all do things wrong (myself included) and learning to accept your mistakes is all part of continuing to grow as a person. No, it doesn't feel good to be punished, but personally I would feel so guilty if I saw Becky (I have no idea who Becky is, but I kinda feel sorry for her!) being punished for something she hadn't done! 

Sorry for the rant, it's just something I have noticed more and more and it was starting to get a little annoying!

Lottie :) 

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments