Christmas Eve and the RSC

December 25, 2016

I have always wanted to see a Shakespeare production live, there's something about seeing it performed that makes it so much more easier to understand, compared to mere words on a screen. So when I was told my family and I were going to see the RSC's Christmas Eve production of The Tempest I was thrilled. 



Obviously the RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company) would know a thing or two about performing Shakespeare and I was really looking forward to seeing my first live Shakespearean performance. They had worked with Intel to create technology that would really make the story come to life and I was left speechless at the effects they created. 

Gorgeous costumes from past performances 
The story is set on an island where magic rules and the main character, Prospero, controls a sprite called Ariel (and no not the mermaid) who was created using a mixture of live-action and awesome animation. There was a large screen at the back of the stage and one that folded down at the middle, Ariel would be projected on these at certain times to make it appear as though he was flying, or transforming from his human-like state into something magical. I was completely enthralled by this, it was something I had never seen before and it really brought the story to life. At one point magic is used to change the seasons and the back screen was lit up with light and movement. It was mesmerizing to watch and it kept me focused when sometimes I didn't understand the language. The stage was bordered by an over-exaggerated ship-wreck and we were so close that it actually made us jump when the characters appeared at the beginning of the play!


 
A Christmas Tree in Stratford

I had such a great time, it was so interesting to see how the company had taken a story that was 400 years old and made it modern, without losing any of its magic and spark. 

Merry Christmas
Lottie :)


 photo Lottie FB_zpsfihzihiu.png  photo Lottie Twit_zpskz8guazg.png  photo Lottie Insta_zpsny1gl8bp.png  photo Lottie BlogLovin_zps9xtohrqa.png

Back to top

You Might Also Like

0 comments